- Provide accurate cost estimates for materials, subcontractor, and labour pricing.
- Collaborate with internal technical experts to gather information in preparation for tenders.
- Maintain regular contact with suppliers and subcontractors to ensure pricing and product availability are up to date and accurate.
- Complete final submission for presentation to client.
- Consult with operational departments to determine the accuracy of tenders won and completed.
- Ensure compliance is adhered to for all record-keeping associated with the tender.
- Recommend and update procedures and programs to improve the estimating function.
- Provide cost advice to projects.
- Proven Estimating experience in Utilities, Projects or Terms Contracts with the flexibility to work on multiple bids across a range of disciplines within Utilities. Background in Water, Wastewater, Power Transmission Lines or Civil Structures would be highly regarded.
- Proven experience with proprietary estimating packages (ideally CANDY, CostX, Expert).
- Strong commercial / numerical & analytical with attention to detail and a demonstrated understanding of the use of “First Principles of Estimating" essential (bottom-up approach).
- Ability to undertake Take-offs and review Bill of Quantity / Drawings.
- Working knowledge of Project Management Principles and scheduling.
- Track record in tendering governance, reviews and approvals.
Intermediate Estimators may be responsible for:
- Reviewing contract documents including scope of works, specifications etc. at tender stage.
- Developing lump sum pricing/bills of quantities on a range of civil, utility and infrastructure projects using first principle estimates.
- Risk Management.
- Managing tenders.
- Evaluating subcontractor and supplier pricing and negotiating subcontract terms and conditions.
- Preparing variations and EOTs in accordance with contracts.
- Experience in estimating HV and Gas infrastructure projects (Transmission Lines, Hydrogen, Desalination Water Projects).
- Provide leadership support to Estimating Lead and team members to ensure quality 1st principle estimating is taken to cover civil scope.
- Undertake detail first principle estimate, obtaining market coverage, to provide quality estimates.
- Coordinate with all the stakeholders to ensure scope is understood and covered in estimates.
- Quantity take off from drawings or 3D models.
- Ability to work with the team using estimating software and work to tight timelines.
- Agree productivities and risk factors with client to complete agreed target cost for submissions.
- Attend target cost development meetings and support estimate review processes.
- Provide support for cost loading of risk registers, cost loading of program and forecasting.
- Assist the project team on Compensation Events, work break down structures, etc.
ToC (Target Outrun Cost) Development Manager
- Proactively leading the proposed strategy and construction methodology of the job with project/estimating teams and build suitable program which supports this.
- Bid management - successfully delivering the required response schedules for each issued output and attending client reviews and meetings as required to achieve a value for money offering.
- Manage and coordinate pricing the tender based on this program.
- Provide guidance and ensure adherence to the overall estimating process including solicitation of bids from vendors and subcontractors and oversee estimating team to produce the relevant submission documentation.
- Oversee and manage multiple ToC submissions.
- Coordination of overall bid development process in line with agreed client requirements, including compliance to established systems & processes, solicitation of bids from vendors and subcontractors, and constructability input.
- Assist in the preparation of high-level cost plans for relevant jobs.
- Reviewing pricing and scheduling of estimating team to ensure accurate and competitive estimates.
- Analyse construction/design options to determine the most economical alternative for the company and best value for money solution for the client.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with owners, consultants, subs and suppliers.
- Reviewing tender cost reports for budget, ensuring no abnormalities in tender.
- Valuing risk and opportunities for review.
- Prepare all payment claims ensuring on-time submission and accuracy in accordance with the head contract and securities of payment legislation.
- Support and co-ordinate the review and timely approval (or dispute) of payment claims submitted by key subcontractors to the project.
- Manage and monitor contract securities, insurances, claims and variations under the head contract and key subcontracts.
- Lead the administration of subcontracts to support the project achieve its cost, time, and quality targets.
Cost Control Engineer
- Reporting to the Programme Controls Manger, you will be responsible for the reporting, management, administration, and maintenance of project costs provided by the Finance function.
- You will produce cost reports, work with the Risk Coordinator in managing project risks and assist the project team in extracting and analysing cost information, ensuring schedule and cost phasing data are aligned.
- You will be supporting the development of effective trend management and productivity measurements/metrics and will be responsible for implementation and monitoring of these metrics, providing feedback on performance against these productivity measures over time, to optimise decision making, and measuring and reporting on the status of work packages.